Historic Environment Scotland is the lead public body set up to investigate, care for and promote Scotland’s historic environment.
From brochs, castles and palaces to abbeys, towers and tombs there are over 5000 years’ worth of history for you to enjoy.
ENTRANCE FEES TO BLACKNESS CASTLE
Mighty fortifications make this 15th-century castle look like a ‘ship that never sailed’. Blackness was never just a peaceful lordly residence – its enduring roles were as a garrison fortress and state prison.
What to see and do:
– Blackness Castle stood in for Fort William in series one of TV show Outlander.
– Take in the castle’s stunning location on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth
– Learn about the Crichtons – for whom Blackness was built – one of Scotland’s most powerful families
– Stand in awe of the formidable fortress – this was not only a noble residence but also a stronghold built for war.
– Climb the towers and curtain wall for sweeping views of the Firth of Forth and its rail and road bridges
– Explore the castle with fun fact-finding quiz.
FREE PLACE: Tour Leader enters free of charge if party consists of 11 or more paying pax.
NOTE: ALL visits must now be pre-booked. We will reconfirm with booking reference which must be displayed on vouchers.
See Covid-safe measures here: